Monday, 27 March 2017

My Experience With Feminism Hasn't Always Been Pleasant- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie



My Sweetheart Recently granted an interview to stylist magazine and it is all shades if awesome. Chimamanda speaks so eloquently that sometimes I wonder if she ever makes a mistake. The words come out like she was born with it.. Damn!

Read This!


How have your family reacted to your growing profile, because things have dialed up a notch?

 My family [Adichie is one of six children] has always been supportive. I think because even as a child I was slightly unusual. I was the child who asked questions, who pushed back a bit more, and so there’s always been room made for me in my family to be a little [explorative]. So I feel as though sort of having become this public person is something that they are proud of. [But] when it comes to gender, I don’t think my being a public face for feminism is their favourite thing; I don’t think they have an enormous enthusiasm.

 Are your principles shared by all the women in your family?

 No, certainly not. Many of the women in my family do not share my principles.




 So do you avoid those discussions? Or still get into lively debates that all families do?

 Oh, all the time. It doesn’t always end well, but it happens all the time. But I’ve also noticed that there’s a kind of ‘be careful what you say around her when it comes to feminism’ kind of thing, which is very annoying because what I want is honesty. I want it all out there. I don’t want people to feel that they have to censor themselves because of me, because I sometimes get that sense, and even that is telling.

You’re now becoming as well known for feminism as you are for your novels. Is this intentional or a happy accident?

 It’s not intentional. Certainly not. Because I’m a storyteller; that’s what I love to do, what I want to do, and what I think I’m here on earth to do. But feminism happens to be something I think is so important... I guess it is what it is. I don’t think of myself as an expert in feminism, and it hasn’t always been a pleasant experience; there’s a lot of hostility that comes with being a public face for something that is still, all over the world, a contested thing

Visit STYLIST For the full Interview.


Culled From STYLIST 

Did You Like This Post? Please Let Me Know What You Think! 

 DROP YOUR THOUGHTS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read this post.

Please SHARE With Your Friends!