Friday, 20 November 2015

Diary Of A Chocolate Ada: Childhood Memories Of My Mother.


I do not remember 1994 , nor the year after, but i certainly do remember what it felt like to be five. My mother is not your usual Nigerian mum, she's a mixture of everything iconic, everything sweet. I remember that she did not leave me to be me when I demanded it. She would not let me go to the next street by myself, and when she did , it was 'cos she had plans of her own. I would turn around to see her, lurking in the dark somewhere, checking left, right and center to make sure i was alone, totally disrupting my plans to visit a girl, or a scheduled appointment with a chiker.


I remember that, sometimes my very big head would confront her, to demand explanations as to why she did not give me freedom like other mums. Her response was always a question...o ajuju ka i-na aju m .?( is this a question you are asking ?)  and then I would run to my dad, to ask him why mum was so harsh. Then dad would pet me and tell me not to cry, he always added o? to everything he said to me. Ebezina o?  fiche anya gi.. o? emesia ka mu na nne gi kpa nkata....o?...afterwards I would leave, convinced mummy would hear it from him that night.
My mum did not stop when my siblings came. She went through the whole process again. Child after child, and after each experience with her, my siblings would run to my daddy to complain, and they would wait to hear him questioning mummy, but no. NO VOICE, NO QUERY, NOTHING!.

I was always around the corner, laughing at their ignorance, and rejoicing in the knowledge that I went through it too.
One particular day, daddy called us all together, the five of us, and we flipped our ears as we waited for him to tell us what we wanted to hear. That he had that talk with mummy....instead he said.."Nne unu na azu unu-azu" ( your mother is training you all, you have to listen to her).
We became losers in our own game, we decided to give up our fight and to listen to mother.

And dear diary, listening to mother is the best thing I've ever done in my life, because from there, every prize, every recognition, most of the happiness I've had in my life, came from the root of that tree.
 I will continue listening to mother. I will listen to mother for as long as she would remain mine.



2 comments:

Thank you for taking your time to read this post.

Please SHARE With Your Friends!